Belfast Telegraph

Former Celtic striker Anthony Stokes denies stalking campaign against ex-girlfriend

Anthony Stokes.
Anthony Stokes.

By Bart Dickson

Former Celtic star Anthony Stokes has denied claims he carried out a stalking campaign against a former girlfriend.

The 30-year-old striker is alleged to have caused "fear and alarm" and stalked the woman on various occasions between July 2018 and February this year.

Court papers allege he repeatedly phoned and left voicemails. The calls were claimed to be threatening.

He is also said to have sent abusive and sexual texts and social media messages.

The footballer appeared at Hamilton Sheriff Court where he pleaded not guilty to the charges and the case was continued.

Stokes is also accused of banging on the alleged victim’s door in Shotts, Lanarkshire, last July.

Prosecutors claim he shouted through her letterbox and waited outside her home in his car.

The footballer allegedly stood in the road and blocked a car being driven by a man who had taken his ex home.

Charges state Stokes shouted, swore and gesticulated at him and the occupants of the vehicle. He then allegedly kicked the car while shouting and swearing at the woman.

Stokes is further said to have shouted and sworn at the woman in various locations in Glasgow on September 30 last year, before following her home and entering her property uninvited.

He then allegedly asked her mother about her whereabouts.

Stokes is said to have returned to shout and swear at his former partner through a window on October 9.

Stokes won seven trophies in six seasons at Parkhead and netted twice in Hibs’ 3-2 Scottish Cup win over Rangers in 2016.

The striker had spells at Falkirk, Sunderland and Blackburn Rovers. He won nine international caps for the Republic of Ireland.

Last year he joined Iranian team Tractor Sazi FC in the Persian Gulf Pro League on a four-year deal.

Stokes, of Glasgow, was given bail by Sheriff Marie Smart and is expected to return to court next month.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph