Four men accused of attempted murder in Belfast paramilitary-style attack appear in court
Four men were remanded in custody charged with attempted murder following a suspected paramilitary-style attack in west Belfast.
The accused, all from the Dunmurry area, also face a further count of intentionally causing grievous bodily harm to the same man during the alleged assault last month.
Mark McGrann, 35, Ciaran Fryers, 35, Stephen McCullagh, 42, and Sean Megaw, 30, refused to stand as they appeared together at Belfast Magistrates' Court.
Defence lawyers had to identify each of their clients for District Judge Liam McNally.
The charges relate to an alleged attack carried out at a location on September 28.
An investigating detective told the court: "Police at the minute see it as a paramilitary-style assault."
He confirmed no statement has been received from the alleged victim, claiming this may partially be due to fear on his part.
On that basis reporting restrictions were imposed to protect the man's identity.
At one point Judge McNally warned the four defendants about their behaviour as they remained seated in the dock.
"Gentlemen, you have refused to stand for the court," he told them.
"The court will treat this case with respect, if you are not going to do so you will be sent downstairs."
McGrann, of Old Colin, and Fryers, from Lagmore Avenue, are expected to mount bail applications within the next seven days.
They were remanded into custody along with McCullagh, of Aspen Park, and Megaw, from Brians Well Grove, who are both due to appear again by video-link in four weeks time.
The four accused acknowledged supporters in the public gallery as they were led back to the cells.
Belfast Telegraph Digital