| 4°C Belfast

Four people rescued from flat after mobile phone sparks fire

They were trapped by smoke in the fourth-floor property in Flax Street in North Belfast.

Close

The blaze is thought to have been started by a mobile device being left on charge overnight (Andrew Milligan/PA)

The blaze is thought to have been started by a mobile device being left on charge overnight (Andrew Milligan/PA)

The blaze is thought to have been started by a mobile device being left on charge overnight (Andrew Milligan/PA)

Four people have been rescued from a burning flat in Belfast after a mobile was left charging overnight.

The fire broke out in a property on the fourth floor of a residential building in Flax Street in the north of the city.

A Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) spokesman said: “NIFRS responded to reports of a flat on fire on the fourth floor of a residential building on Flax Street, Belfast.

“On arrival, crews identified that a number of people were trapped by smoke on the fourth floor.

“They quickly rescued two people with an aerial appliance from outside of the building, and a further two people managed to self-rescue.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus evacuated eight people and extinguished the fire in the flat.

“At this stage the fire is believed to have been caused by a mobile device being left on charge overnight; however, further investigation will take place.

“The four people who were in the flat have all been taken to hospital suffering from burns, smoke inhalation and shock.”

PA