Belfast Telegraph

Frail grandfather who was stabbed by robbers as he lay in bed loses his fight for life

By Erinn Kerr

A frail grandfather who was stabbed as he lay in bed in a shocking attack as his house was ransacked has lost his fight for life almost three months after the vicious assault.

Eugene Carr was in his 70s and disabled, but that didn't stop the heartless gang who left him in a critical condition with damage to his liver, spleen and abdomen.

Police believe he may have been stabbed with a hook.

Mr Carr, who was a widower, passed away at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast yesterday evening following the robbery at his home in Clogharevan Park, Armagh, on August 31 at around 2.40am.

He had been in hospital since the horrifying attack.

A Sinn Fein councillor for the area, Roisin Mulgrew, told the Belfast Telegraph last night that the family were "all over the place" after losing Mr Carr and said they had been travelling up and down to the hospital for weeks unsure of whether he would survive.

She added: "He held on for such a very long time and it's going to be very difficult for his family. The whole community in Bessbrook will be distraught at his passing.

"He was a very simple, quiet man. He had mobility issues, but he still got up every day and went down to the shop to get his papers.

"He would have got messages for some of his friends as well as he lived in an area where there were a lot of elderly people, and he would go to Mass.

"He was an inoffensive little lamb who wouldn't hurt anyone.

"The majority of people in the area would have known him, so today will be a sad day."

Father Sean Larkin, who knew Mr Carr, said the pensioner had put up a "long and courageous fight" in hospital.

He added: "It is very sad that his struggle has now come to an end, but in some ways it may be a blessing as he was very low and very weak.

"We will be saying prayers for him and I hope that he is now at peace."

A 25-year-old woman and 26-year-old man were arrested near Newry at the start of September on suspicion of attempted murder.

They were later released on police bail pending further enquiries.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph