Belfast Telegraph

Fresh bid to find body of teen who vanished in 1989


Those who know the whereabouts of a murdered teenager's body have been urged to come forward so her family "can give her a Christian burial".

Newry-born Caroline Graham (19) lived in Portadown with her boyfriend when she went missing in 1989.

Police believe she may have been buried below shops and houses at Carleton Street, near her Hanover Street home.

The area was being redeveloped when she vanished.

Police will distribute leaflets and use a publicity trailer in an attempt to jog people's memories.

A senior officer in the investigation said he is confident people know where she is buried.

Detective Inspector Peter Montgomery said: "Whoever is responsible for Caroline's murder has spoken to people. They know what has happened to Caroline.

"We are working to recover a young woman's remains so that her family can give her a Christian burial and her killer can be brought to justice.

"Don't think your information is not relevant or significant – it might be. Let us decide."

Detectives investigating Ms Graham's disappearance launched a murder inquiry last year after they said they had a number of new lines of inquiry. The focus of the PSNI's investigation last autumn was a street on which five houses, a taxi firm and a cafe sit.

There is no suggestion current or former owners or occupants have any connection whatsoever to the crime.

At that time Caroline's mother Barbara Graham made a heartfelt plea for information. She said: "It's like being in limbo because we don't have Caroline. I don't have anywhere to go, I have no grave."

Anyone with information is asked to contact detectives on 075 8522 8283.


When Caroline Graham vanished in 1989 aged 19, she was living in Portadown with her boyfriend at an address in Hanover Street. Following new information last year police carried out extensive searches near Hanover St in the Carleton St area. Areas of waste ground and a well were searched by a specialist police team. But the search was suspended as nothing of significance was found.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph