Belfast Telegraph

Funeral of murdered ex-UDA chief George Gilmore takes place in Carrickfergus

By Staff Reporter

The funeral of former UDA commander George 'Geordie' Gilmore, who died after being shot on the Woodburn estate, has taken place in Carrickfergus amid a heavy police presence.

The 44-year-old died after being hit in the neck, torso and leg after shots were fired into his car at point blank range on Monday, March 13.

He died in hospital the next day.

Mr Gilmore's funeral was held at Carrickfergus Church of the Nazarene.

Detectives from Serious Crime Branch leading the murder probe arrested a 23-year-old man following a policing operation in Carrickfergus on Sunday evening.

He was taken to Musgrave Serious Crime Suite for questioning, but has since been released unconditionally.

A 32-year-old woman, who was detained earlier, has been released without charge.

Two men aged 28 and 25 who were charged with the murder appeared in Belfast's Magistrates Court on Saturday.

Brian Roy McLean and Samuel David McMaw were charged with shooting Gilmore dead last Monday.

McLean (35) and McMaw (28) are also accused of the attempted murder of Kelvin Graham and Stephen Boyd on the same date.

The two men are further charged with possession of a semi-automatic pistol and seven rounds of 9mm ammunition with intent.

Around 30 supporters were at Belfast Magistrates Court for the short hearing.

District Judge Bernadette Kelly remanded McMaw, of Starbog Road near Kilwaughter in Co Antrim, and McLean, of The Birches in Carrickfergus, into custody.

Gilmore was shot dead when two unmasked gunmen riddled the Vauxhall Insignia with eight rounds from a semi-automatic pistol.

The attack happened in Carrickfergus's Woodburn Estate in broad daylight.

Gilmore was on his way back from attending a court appearance in support of two friends - Brian and Ian Sinclair.

They have been charged with the attempted murder of doorman Steve Bingham inside the Royal Oak bar in the Co Antrim seaside town.

The 44-year-old former UDA leader was struck in the neck by a round and died in hospital the following day.

It is believed his son George Gilmore Jnr was travelling in a car behind his dad when he was fatally wounded.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph