Game of Thrones gives Northern Ireland starring role in list of destinations adults most want to visit
The Lord of the Rings' home New Zealand topped the list
Tourists hoping to catch a glimpse of Jon Snow in Westeros or to get their picture taken at the dark hedges have given Northern Ireland a starring role in the film and TV destinations adults most want to visit.
A new study commissioned by HBO has revealed that one in four adults choose where to go on their next getaway based on their favourite TV show or movie.
Game of Thrones based on George R Martin's best-selling books has not only put Northern Ireland on the international film production map but also provided a huge boost to the tourism industry as it provides locations for the fictional land of Westeros.
On a hotly contended list of 30 destinations - topped by New Zealand which was the backdrop for The Lord Of The Rings trilogy - the Causeway Coast and Glens placed third.
Meanwhile New York takes second place for the hit series Sex and the City starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon as best friends living in Manhattan.
Also making the list was Las Vegas, USA for fans hoping to see the sights of The Hangover in real life.
Harry Potter fans have also been taking in their favourite film location as they visited Alnwick Castle in Northumberland which came sixth in the list.
It was followed by Paris used to film Inception and Benidorm in Spain home to the ITV hit show of the same name, Benidorm.
Fifty Shades of Grey also made an impact for fans of the hit movie starring Holywood actor Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson flocking to Vancouver Canada.
Marbella Spain also made the list for fans of the holiday spot favoured by The Only Way Is Essex crew.
Tourism Northern Ireland’s Director of Product Development Laura McCorry said: “We are absolutely delighted that the Causeway Coast and Glens has been placed third in the list of film and TV destinations adults most want to visit.
"We join some of the biggest names in film and TV including locations where blockbuster films Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones and Harry Potter were filmed as well as hit TV series Sex and the City, Downton Abbey and Broadchurch.
“It comes as no surprise to Tourism Northern Ireland that the Causeway Coast and Glens has been placed in the top three of this list. It is an absolutely stunning part of the world with rugged landscapes, breath taking scenery and a fascinating history of myths and legends and also offers visitors lots to see and do along the route.
“Thanks to Game of Thrones®, Northern Ireland’s stunning mountains, forests, lakes and countryside are now familiar to millions of people around the world having helped create the magical backdrop that much of the show’s action is filmed against.
"Whilst the scenery is amazing onscreen, there is nothing like seeing the stunning sights for yourself and we look forward to continuing to welcome TV viewers from around the world in the years to come."
Some of the locations based across the Causeway Coast and Glens that Game of Thrones fans can visit for themselves include:
- The Dark Hedges which is King’s Road
- Downhill Beach/Dragonstone
- Larrybane/The Stormlands
- Ballintoy Harbour/Pyke, The Iron Islands
- Cushendun Caves/The Stormlands
- Cairncastle/North of Winterfell
- Murlough Bay/Storm’s End
- Slemish/Dothraki Grasslands
Embracing the global interest in Game of Thrones a range of visitor experiences are available in Northern Ireland including self-guided and guided tours and experiences such as replica costumes, themed menus and interactive adventures.
The top 30 film and TV destinations adults most want to visit:
1. New Zealand - Lord of the Rings
2. New York, USA - Sex and the City
3. The Causeway Coast and Glens, Northern Ireland - Game of Thrones
4. Las Vegas, USA - The Hangover
5. West Bay, Dorset, UK - Broadchurch
6. Alnwick Castle, N'thumberland - Harry Potter
7. Paris, France - Inception
8. Benidorm, Spain - Benidorm
9. Iceland - Game of Thrones
10. Malta - Game of Thrones
11. Skiathos, Greece - Mamma Mia!
12. Vatican City - Angels and Demon
13. Salzburg, Austria - The Sound of Music
14. Ripon, Yorkshire - Downton Abbey
15. Ko Phi Phi Leh, Thailand - The Beach
16. Kings Cross Station, London - Harry Potter
17. Highclere Castle, Hampshire - Downton Abbey
18. Petra, Jordan - Indiana Jones
19. Notting Hill, UK - Notting Hill
20. Cardiff, UK - Doctor Who
21. Oregon, USA - The Twilight Saga
22. Marbella, Spain - The Only Way is Essex
23. Vancouver, Canada - Fifty Shades of Grey
24. The Beverly Wilshire Hotel, Beverly Hills, USA - Pretty Woman
25. Wells, Somerset, UK - Hot Fuzz
26. Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, USA - Jaws
27. Cambodia - Tomb Raider
28. Neuschwanstein Castle, Bavaria - Chitty, Chitty Bang, Bang
29. Philadelphia, USA - Rocky
30. Wexford, Ireland - Saving Private Ryan
Belfast Telegraph Digital