Belfast Telegraph

Gas fumes killed two school friends

Leaking gas fumes poisoned two school friends in a seaside apartment as they enjoyed a holiday ahead of their exam results.

Aaron Davidson and Neil McFerran, both 18, were found dead in the flat in the idyllic town of Castlerock on the north coast of Northern Ireland on Tuesday night after relatives raised the alarm.

They had travelled to the beachfront getaway from their homes in Newtownabbey, on the outskirts of Belfast, to relax and have fun before turning their minds to future plans when their exam grades were published.

Another teenage friend who was unconscious when emergency services broke into the flat in the Tunnel Brae Court complex was revived and was being treated at the Causeway hospital in nearby Coleraine. It is believed all three were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.

The headmaster of the teenager's school Glengormley High said they were role models for fellow pupils.

"Both boys had displayed exceptional talents in their careers here and were popular and valued by both students and staff," said principal Lex Hayes.

"Aaron and Neil were both prefects and acted as role models for younger pupils. They will be sadly missed by all who knew them in school."

The other seven apartments in the complex were evacuated after the incident and the building remained cordoned off today as the police and officials from the Health and Safety Executive examined the scene and checked all the gas appliances.

Mr McFerran was a talented actor who was also an active member of the school choir. He had just completed his AS level exams after transferring to Glengormley from nearby Monkstown Community School after his GCSEs.

Mr Davidson attained some of the school's best ever marks in his GCSE exams two years ago and was planning to go to university.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph