Belfast Telegraph

Greysteel: The eight who died in the attack

Karen Thompson, 19

The youngest of the victims, she was sitting with her boyfriend Stephen Mullan when loyalist gunmen opened fire in the lounge of the Rising Sun bar. Miss Thompson was the first to be killed. Before the firing started Stephen Irwin had shouted: "Trick or treat", which she told him was "not funny". Karen went to Limavady Grammar School. Her mother, Olive, was Catholic, her father, Anthony, was Protestant.

Joe McDermott, 60

He was a single man who was devoted to his pets and although a reclusive person, Mr McDermott was a familiar sight to local people as he walked for miles on roads around the area. "He could often be seen walking the five or six miles to Eglinton from his house to buy milk for his cats," a police source told a newspaper shortly after the shooting. "His cats were his only companions. He lived a very, very lonely life."

Moira Duddy, 59

She was a mother of six children. One of her sons was later quoted as saying: "The people who did this are just mad. It is all innocent people who get it. They were sitting in a group of four. All my father saw was the barrel of the gun and he told them to get down. My mother was the only one of the four to get shot." It later emerged that one of the killers had once worked with one of Mrs Duddy's sons and wrote to him from prison.

James Moore, 81

The oldest to die, he was discovered by his son, who owns the Rising Sun, lying dead beside the cigarette machine with one wound to the head and three to his body. "I heard the bangs and thought it was fireworks," Mr Moore's son, also James, said speaking after the atrocity. "The first I saw was my father lying there dead. Then the next was the 19-year-old girl. That finished it. I know my own father's dead, but I do not want any retaliation. Catholics and Protestants get on well here and I hope it can stay like that." His wife never returned home after the incident because of memories of the shooting.

John Moyne, 50

He was a father of three teenage children and worked as a supervisor at the nearby Dupont chemical factory. Speaking at the time, John's wife, Lily, said: "My husband and I had only entered the Rising Sun a few moments when the gunmen appeared. My husband realised what was happening and threw me to the ground to protect me. Had it not been for his quick reaction I too would have been killed."

Samuel Victor Montgomery, 76

A retired farmer and former commander in the B Specials, he collapsed and died at his sister's home months after the Greysteel attack. His death resulted from blood clots in his legs – caused by his injuries in the shooting – shifting to his heart and lungs.

Stephen Mullan, 20

He died from his wounds on the way to hospital in Londonderry. Stephen was a joiner and the eldest in a family of two sons and three daughters. The 20-year-old and his girlfriend Karen Thompson were said to be planning to get engaged that Christmas.

John Burns, 54

He was married with three children. His wife was also shot and badly injured in the massacre. Mr Burns, who lived in Eglinton, was a former soldier with the Ulster Defence Regiment. He had sons aged 19 and 16, and a daughter aged 14.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph