Hamiltonsbawn cashpoint bombing accused denied bail
A man accused of mounting a bomb attack on a cash machine containing £90,000 must remain in custody, a High Court judge has ruled.
Ioan Anton (37) was refused bail amid claims he used explosives in a bid to steal the contents of the ATM.
Although no money was stolen in the raid at a Costcutters shop in Hamiltonsbawn, Co Armagh, prosecutors revealed that around £1,000 was destroyed.
Police also believe a similar method was used in a separate cash heist from a machine in nearby Carrickmore, Co Tyrone, less than two weeks earlier, the court heard.
Anton, a Romanian national with an address in Balbriggan in the Republic, denies charges of criminal damage, attempted theft and causing an explosion likely to endanger life or property.
He was arrested along with a co-accused after police stopped a Volkswagen Passat in Keady 12 hours after the Hamiltonsbawn attack on June 5.
Officers had earlier discovered the ATM ablaze and connected to a battery pack and wires.
A baseball cap and adhesive tape were also found at the scene.
Gas is believed to have been used to carry out the explosion.
Witnesses told police they heard a loud bang at Costcutters and saw another car speed off.
An Audi A4 which crashed into a tree less than three miles from the scene forms part of the investigation.
Natalie Pinkerton, prosecuting, told the court that irreparable damage was caused to the Danske Bank ATM but that the thieves are not believed to have gotten away with any cash.