Belfast Telegraph

Harland and Wolff boys Steel victory with historic cup win

by Niamh Agnew

Fans of the Harland and Wolff Welders left Seaview football grounds in high spirits following their first cup victory in history against Knockbreda Parish.

The teams came head to head in the Steel and Sons Cup, usually held on Christmas morning but was re -scheduled due to weather conditions. Despite the cold both clubs had an outstanding amount of support from spectators.

Crowds arrived at the stadium with a positive attitude and although only one team could gain glory, strong views from each side brought great competition.

Welder’s assistant manager, Paul Miskelly said he hoped the team could bring the trophy back to east Belfast for the first time, and the players worked to their full potential to secure this with their 3-1 win.

Five minutes into the game Andrew Dickson for the Welder’s was taken off due to an arm injury, leaving the crowd disappointed, although Ryan Harvey held it together with his goal spree.

Harvey took the game into his own hands when he scored two well-deserved goals and almost made it a hat-trick before half time, but Knockbreda goalkeeper stepped up the challenge with an unexpected save.

Knockbreda fans encouraged the team chanting songs and words of advice. One content supporter said: “If the team played as well as the food at the grounds tasted, the club would be flying.’’

Miguel Chines finally scored for Knockbreda after several shots on target which equalised the game, although not for long, when Harvey restored the Welder’s advantage on the 39th minute.

Craig McMillan extended the lead in the second half which was inspired by the Welder’s Paul Harbinson and brought the game to a close.

Not only were the fans hailing Ryan Harvey, but also his team mate Harbinson. He spoke after the match about Harvey and said: “When he plays like that he is outstanding, he drops off, picks up the ball and is just a super player.”

Commenting on the second goal Harbinson said: ‘’He’s got great feet, as soon as the ball dropped for him for his second goal, Harvey was always going to put it in.’’

Harvey won the cup four years ago with Brantwood, which ironically was against The Welders. The striker admitted it was special to turn the tables round and be a hero for Colin Stanex’s side.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph