Belfast Telegraph

Hijacking accused who allegedly ran over victim with his own car refused bail

By Alan Erwin

A man accused of a hijacking where the victim was run over by his own car must remain in custody, Northern Ireland's most senior judge ruled today.

Lord Chief Justice Sir Declan Morgan refused Remy Moore's application for bail after being told the motorist was also dragged from his vehicle and kicked about the head.

Moore, 29, of Carlisle Road, Derry, faces a total of seven charges in connection with the alleged attack in the city early on August 25.

He is accused of hijacking, aggravated vehicle-taking, assault, robbery, driving while unfit through drink or drugs and driving without insurance or a licence.

Moore and two co-accused are alleged to have targeted the victim in the Fountain Hill area of the city.

A prosecution lawyer said two men standing in the middle of the road forced the driver to stop his Peugeot 407 before a third man pulled him out of the car.

All three then attacked him as he lay on the ground, the court heard.

A mobile phone and £110 in cash was stolen from the motorist before the car was allegedly driven over his wrist.

Soon after the hijacking the stolen car crashed into a garden wall about two miles away on the Limavady Road.

Moore was allegedly recognised by the victim because he had known him since he was a teenager, the court heard.

Defence counsel had questioned the reliability of the motorist's account.

But refusing bail, Sir Declan held that the risks were too great at this stage.

He pointed out: "Actual violence was used, which involved kicking someone who was on the ground." 

Meanwhile, a man charged over a separate car hijacking in Derry also had his bail application denied.

Brendan Meenan, 22, of Bonds Hill in the city, is charged with hijacking, taking a motor vehicle without authority, driving while unfit through drink or drugs, dangerous driving, having no insurance or driving licence, and theft of a debit card.

Prosecutor Conor Maguire said two men stopped the 58-year-old victim in his Kia Picanto on Fahan Street on August 20.

One of them told him "get out of the car, we're taking it" before the pair drove off at speed.

Police spotted the car travelling erratically across the Craigavon Bridge before it came to a stop in the Bonds Hill area. Meenan and a co-accused were then arrested.

Sean Doherty, defending, accepted a prima facie case has been established but stressed the incident involved no allegations of force being used.

Despite being told Meenan could live at an address outside the city Sir Declan refused bail due to the risk of further offences.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph