Historic Fermanagh church restoration nears completion
The £120,000 restoration of a historic Co Fermanagh church linked with early Christian settlements is almost complete.
The Priory Church, Killadeas, in the Church of Ireland's Clogher Diocese, was built in 1881 and its churchyard contains elaborately-carved stones bearing pre-Christian symbolism. Stones from a previous church building known as the Yellow Church, because of the colour of the stonework, were incorporated into the archway.
The church has close connections with the Irvine family who originally came into the Rockfield area of Killadeas in 1660.
Unfortunately, the church building had been suffering from the effects of penetrating damp. Heavy and continuous rain has resulted in water streaming down the inside of the walls in some parts of the building.
But thanks to a Heritage Lottery Fund contribution of £65,400, restoration work that started in April is almost finished, and the church will be rededicated by the Bishop of Clogher, the Right Rev John McDowell, on November 25 at 3pm.