Belfast Telegraph

Homeless Belfast man suffers burns to feet and legs after tent goes on fire

Paul McCusker
Paul McCusker

By David Young

A homeless 'rough sleeper' in Belfast was rushed to hospital suffering from burns to his feet and legs after the tent he was sleeping in went on fire late on Saturday night.

The man, who is in his 20s, was in his tent at Middlepath Street, close to the east bank of the Lagan, when the blaze started.

The incident was spotted by a female volunteer for Reaching Out Homeless Support, who quickly fetched help, and got the injured man to hospital for emergency treatment.

It's not yet known whether the fire was started deliberately, or was the result of an accident.

A police investigation into the incident has been launched.

Investigating officer Detective Sergeant Dane said: "It is believed that the fire may have started sometime before 9.45pm.

"We are working to establish the cause of the fire and I am appealing for anyone who has any information that can assist with the investigation to contact detectives in Musgrave on 101."

Belfast SDLP councillor Paul McCusker paid tribute to the swift actions of homelessness outreach volunteers who work to keep rough sleepers safe.

"Without these selfless people out on our streets every night, things would be much worse for homeless people in the city," Mr McCusker said.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph