Belfast Telegraph

House blaze is sparked by dog jumping up at cooker

By Richard Vernalls

A dog has set fire to a kitchen while its owners were out on the school run after jumping up at a cooker.

The family pet switched on two electric hobs after bounding up at the oven's dials at a semi-detached house in Sutton Drive, Stoke-on-Trent.

The hob then ignited clothing placed on the cooker top, with flames spreading to nearby cupboards.

Smoke alarms caught the attention of neighbours at about 9.10am on Thursday, who then alerted the fire brigade, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

The dog was rescued unharmed.

John Kitchener from the fire service said it was fortunate the outcome was not more serious.

He added: "Thankfully the dog was not injured during this fire, but things could easily have been very differently."

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph