House of man with 300 convictions petrol bombed in Northern Ireland
A Northern Ireland man has told how he and his son are "lucky to be alive" after a petrol bomb attack on his Ballymena home.
Noel Campbell (59) was upstairs at his terraced rented home at Edward Street in the Harryville area of Ballymena and his son was sitting in the living room just before midnight on Thursday when the attack happened.
Mr Campbell said: "A petrol bomb came through the living room window and landed a few feet from one of my sons".
Mr Campbell said he and the 24-year-old son were the only people in the house.
He added: "Thankfully it didn't ignite fully and my son was able to get water from the kitchen and put out the flames."
Mr Campbell said: "I'm almost 60 and have had five heart attacks. We are lucky to be alive, we could have been killed".
He said blue paint had been lobbed at the house a month ago but said before that there had been no incidents since he moved in 2015.
He said he did not know why his home was targeted but added: "I'm not moving for anybody".
He is originally from Larne and said he left there after his house was attacked a number of times.
Mr Campbell, once referred to in a court as "notorious", has over 300 criminal convictions, but he said on Friday at his home: "I did my time in jail".
Belfast Telegraph Digital