Belfast Telegraph

I just want to hear him say 'Hello, I'm all right', says the mum of Northern Irish man Matthew Boyle who is missing in Thailand

By Donna Deeney

The mother of a man who has mysteriously vanished in Thailand says she just wants to hear him say: "Hello mum, I am all right."

Matthew Boyle normally speaks with his parents John and Maureen two or three times a week.

When they couldn't reach him on July 13, three days after a scheduled call, they said they knew instinctively something was wrong.

In the three years since Matthew (37) moved to Bangkok to work as a senior business analyst he has made a successful life for himself, living in the heart of the commercial and financial area of the capital city.

In the summer of 2013 Matthew and a colleague bought a wine bar in the centre of Bangkok and within a few months he gave up his job with Asia Biogas to concentrate on his new business venture.

His parents last heard from Matthew on July 8 when he told them he would be back in touch again two days later on July 10, but when John and Maureen couldn't get through to Matthew they were not unduly alarmed. However, that changed when they still hadn't heard from their son by the following Sunday.

Parents' relief as son missing in Bangkok is found

Mrs Boyle said after she became worried she contacted the wine bar which her son owns, only to be told by a woman in broken English that "Matthew is not here any more".

Mrs Boyle thought this was strange, but put it down to the language barrier.

When she then rang the aparthotel where Matthew has been living since moving to Bangkok from Londonderry and was told he had checked out, she feared something wasn't right.

She explained: "Right now we are trying not to panic and I won't allow myself to think the worst, so I am doing whatever I can to keep my mind off thoughts like that.

"My instincts as a mother tell me he is alive so all we really want is to hear his voice down the phone because this is so out of character for him.

"Ever since Matthew first moved to Bangkok we would speak either on the phone or by email or skype two or three times a week, but Sunday at lunchtime was the one definite day when we were in contact.

"So while I wasn't overly concerned that I couldn't reach him on July 10, which was a Thursday, when we still hadn't had any word from him by Sunday, July 13 I began to get anxious.

"This has been a difficult week but there are so many people supporting us and helping us.

"The PSNI have been working through Interpol with the Royal Thai Police and we have been in touch with the Irish Consulate in Bangkok as well as the British Embassy who are all helping to try and find Matthew for us.

"All of his friends have been using social network sites like Facebook and Twitter to spread the word that he is missing and they are all saying the same as us – that this is so out of character for Matthew.

"At the start we were torn about what was the best course of action for us to take, whether we would be better to go to Bangkok and look for Matthew, but then we didn't want to leave our home either in case we missed a call from Matthew.

"For now all we can do is wait by the phone for Matthew to get back in touch and tell us he is fine."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph