Belfast Telegraph

Jamie Hamilton airlifted to hospital following Isle of Man TT crash

By Colin O'Carroll

Motorcycle racer Jamie Hamilton's injuries have been described as "serious but not life-threatening" following a high-speed crash during the Senior TT.

The main and final race of the Isle of Man TT was red-flagged after the incident on the Cronk-y-Voddy straight at the 11th Milestone on the second lap.

The 24-year-old Ballyclare man was taken to hospital by air ambulance after he crashed at one of the fastest parts of the 37-mile course yesterday.

The race was restarted and rerun over four laps.

Hamilton won the Best Newcomer Award at the Isle of Man TT in 2012. He turned his attention to road racing after he won the British 600cc Superstock Championship in 2009.

The accident comes just days after William Dunlop was airlifted to hospital with suspected chest injuries after crashing during a practice lap at the event.

The 29-year-old's injuries subsequently ruled him out of the Supersport race.

The Ballymoney rider was taken to Nobles Hospital to have his injuries assessed - but his team, Tyco BMW, confirmed he had not suffered any broken bones.

The previous day his younger brother Michael escaped serious injury when he crashed in the closing stages of Sunday's rescheduled Superbike race.

Another rider seriously injured in the North West 200 last year has already died at the TT this year.

French motorcyclist Franck Petricola died from "multiple injuries" following a crash during his Isle of Man TT festival debut, an inquest has heard.

The 32-year-old car mechanic, died on June 3 after colliding with a stone wall during a qualifying session for the TT races.

The crash was at the Sulby Crossroads in the north of the island, Douglas Court House heard.

He was making his TT debut after having to postpone his visit last year following his NW200 horror smash.

Coroner John Needham said Mr Petricola died from "massive blunt-force trauma".

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph