Belfast Telegraph

Kayden Fleck parents recall boy's last moments in public appeal for help

The parents of the five-year-old boy swept to his death in a Ballymena river have spoken of their "nightmare" as they appeal for the public's help in tracing his final movements.

Kayden Fleck was out playing with twin brother Jayden when he fell into the River Braid near the Ecos Centre in Ballymena on Saturday, February 10. After a major search and rescue operation he was pulled from the water around two hours later near the Tullygarley Bridge.

His parents described him as their "ray of sunshine" and their "cheeky wee monkey".

Speaking to the BBC they said the "two musketeers" had been playing outside in the backyard of their old home while they were in the process of moving to a new house.

"We didn't think that was going to be the last time that we were going to see the two boys as the two musketeers," Leanne Fleck told the BBC.

Their father Darrel had been taking down a shed in the garden: "I set the drill down and the boys were gone. I turned my back and they were away within seconds. Within minutes we were out to look for them," he said.

"We never thought to look near the river first because they've never been there alone in their lives."

The parents searched for their sons, not thinking they would be near the river, and it was only the cry of brother Jayden did they realise something had gone wrong. They said Jayden came running toward them with his clothes soaked. He has since told his parents he tried to help his brother out of the water but couldn't reach him. He said they just wanted to see the ducks.

They have appealed for anyone who saw the two boys to contact police.

"We need answers.... we cannot put the pieces of this puzzle together," said father Darrel.

Police are appealing for information for those that may have seen the boys to get in contact. The are not treating the death as suspicious.

A book of condolence was opened at Harryville Primary School following the tragic death as the shocked community came to terms with the five-year-old's sudden death.

Principal Lesley Meikle said the death of the little boy had "ripped out the heart" of his school and community.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph