Belfast Telegraph

Kincora: Ulster Unionist leader Mike Nesbitt joins calls for inquiry into abuse at boys' home

Ulster Unionist leader Mike Nesbitt has joined the calls for an inquiry into the sexual abuse of children at Kincora.

The MLA for Strangford has backed the call for the UK Government to include the Kincora Boys' Home in east Belfast in its inquiry into how public bodies dealt with allegations of child abuse.

Speaking today, he said:  "This is not a criticism of the current Historical Institutional Abuse inquiry headed by Sir Anthony Hart. Rather it is an acknowledgement that the HIA's Terms of Reference limit him to examine "if there were systemic failings by institutions or the state in their duties towards those children in their care..."

“The point about Kincora is that abuse was carried out, not as part of a systemic policy, but as a horrible, murky attempt to use children to gain control over prominent public figures.

He added: "For most of my adult life, there have been persistent rumours about who was either involved, or knew of what was going on but said nothing.

“It is long past the time when we pay our debt to the victims by exposing the wrong-doing that took place at Kincora."

Last week Amnesty International in Northern Ireland called for an inquiry into the abuse in Kincora and any potential cover-up.

Baroness's brother 'tried to limit probe into Kincora', writes Adrian Rutherford

The brother of a retired judge who quit her post as chair of an inquiry into historic sex abuse tried to limit an official investigation into Kincora Boys' Home, it has been revealed.

Baroness Butler-Sloss stood down yesterday – before she had even started the task of examining if alleged abuse by politicians and other figures in the 1970s and 80s was covered up.

Pressure was mounting on her since her appointment last Tuesday, with critics warning of potential conflicts of interest because the investigation was likely to look into the role of her late brother, Sir Michael Havers.

Sir Michael, a former Attorney General, is alleged to have tried to prevent the naming of an abuser in Parliament in the 1980s. It has now emerged that Sir Michael also limited an investigation into Kincora, the east Belfast boys' home where dozens of children were abused.

Three senior staff were jailed in 1981 for the abuse, but there have long been allegations of a mass cover-up by the secret service, which was said to be protecting high-ranking paedophiles in the military, Civil Service and politics.

An inquiry headed by Judge William Hughes was set up by Secretary of State James Prior in 1984.

It has now emerged that Sir Michael, Attorney General from 1979 to 1987, briefed the judge and ensured he kept within restricted terms of reference.

Judge Hughes was unhappy that he was blocked from investigating claims that high-profile politicians visited Kincora, and prevented from summoning all potential witnesses.

Sir Michael briefed Judge Hughes – an old friend – ahead of the Kincora inquiry, Whitehall sources told the investigative news website Exaro.

Lady Butler-Sloss said: "It has become apparent over the last few days... that there is a widespread perception, particularly among victim and survivor groups, that I am not the right person to chair the inquiry.

"It has also become clear to me that I did not sufficiently consider whether my background and the fact my brother had been Attorney General would cause difficulties.

"Having listened to the concerns of victim and survivor groups and the criticisms of MPs and the media, I have come to the conclusion that I should not chair this inquiry."

Story so far

Elizabeth Butler-Sloss was to examine if alleged abuse by powerful figures in the 1970s and 1980s was covered up. But her appointment was engulfed in controversy because she was viewed as an establishment figure herself. Her late brother, Tory MP Sir Michael Havers, was Attorney General during the 1980s. It has been claimed that he tried to cover up abuse by establishment figures at the time.

Kincora: Time we knew full truth of Belfast's house of horrors  

MI5 'blocked exposure of Kincora sex abuse scandal'

Kincora Boy's Home scandal: South African intelligence 'secretly backed loyalist paramilitary group Tara'

Kincora Boys' Home scandal: journalist Peter McKenna dies

State papers: The perjury that allowed Kincora suspect preacher to walk

Further reading

Questions over abuse inquiry choice 

Westminster child abuse dossier: Geoffrey Dickens also gave copy of file to top prosecutor Sir Thomas Hetherington - so why did DPP fail to act on evidence of paedophile ring? 

Historic child abuse files missing

Tory peer Lord Brittan defends handling of 1980s sex abuse dossier

Abuse claims police matter - Clegg

Abuse probe 'into soul of society'

From the archives

Kincora: Sex racket at children's home (Irish Independent, 1980)

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph