Latest attack on Narrow Water Memorial condemned
A memorial to 18 British soldiers who died in an IRA attack at Narrow Water has once again been desecrated.
The memorial marks the spot where a British Army convoy was ambushed by two roadside bombs in August 1979.
UUP councillor David Taylor condemned the incident.
"Yet again an incident has occurred which has resulted in the desecration of poppy wreaths and crosses placed at Narrow Water near Warrenpoint," he said.
“This attack is another despicable act just like the many others which have occurred at the site of the memorial dedicated to the 18 soldiers murdered by the IRA on 27 August 1979.
“I say to those who perpetrate these sickening acts, enough is enough.
"The families of the 18 murdered soldiers already endure enough heartache through losing their loved ones in such tragic circumstances without having their pain further compounded when incidents of this nature occur.
“I appeal for all political representatives and community leaders to do everything in their power to ensure that these attacks stop once and for all.”
Sinn Fein MLA Sinead Ennis said: "There is no place for attacks like in our society and I condemn this act outright.
"Monuments and memorials are important places in communities and should be respected.
"I would encourage anyone with information on this incident to contact the PSNI."
The PSNI is investigating the incident
The memorial has been repeatedly targeted by vandals in recent years..
A lorry driver who admitted wrecking the memorial on October 4 last year was jailed for six months in February.
Robert James McKeegan, from Beech Drive in Craigavon, pleaded guilty to causing criminal damage to the Narrow Water memorial, which is owned by the Royal British Legion.
Belfast Telegraph Digital