Limavady boy (5) finds drugs inside Kinder Surprise egg
A child aged five could have died after he discovered illegal drugs hidden in a Kinder Surprise egg while playing outside, a councillor has said.
The boy was playing with his eight-year-old brother when he spotted the yellow plastic shell, that usually contains a toy, in a hedge. The children opened the 'egg' to discover a bag of white powder, before giving it to their dad.
Limavady DUP councillor Alan Robinson said the community could have been dealing with a tragedy. "On Sunday night I was contacted by a gentleman whose nephew had found a Kinder egg hidden in a hedge in the Edenmore Road area of Limavady," he said.
"When the child opened the plastic section, hidden within was a small sealed plastic bag containing a white powder. Having passed the contents to the police the family have told me that they have informed them that it contained an illegal drug."
Mr Robinson said people were in shock at the incident, adding: "By the grace of God the item was passed to the children's father who alerted the police.
"As a father of a child, I know how enticing Kinder eggs and their contents are to children.
"In this instance the children are to be commended for passing the contents to their parents.
"This weekend the Limavady community could have been learning about a tragedy and I therefore make a community appeal asking for vigilance.
"Our children are precious and they should not be exposed to such danger."