Belfast Telegraph

Lisburn man's romantic night out ends in arrest over bail breach, court hears

By Nevin Farrell

A man's romantic outing "could not have ended worse" when he was arrested and his "date left at the side of the road," a court has heard.

Paul Catherwood (27), of Mourne View Park, Lisburn, is charged with attempted murder but has been released on bail.

He appeared at Coleraine Magistrates' Court and admitted to breaching that bail.

A police officer said they had concerns as Catherwood is facing serious charges and that he had breached his bail by being on licensed premises and consuming alcohol.

A defence lawyer said his client met a new girl and there was a suggestion about going out for dinner.

The solicitor said Catherwood then realised there was "no place in Lisburn that would serve dinner without alcohol".

The lawyer said the couple went to Wetherspoon's and said the accused took a sip from a cocktail the woman had and when later asked to do a breath test by police the alcohol was detected.

The solicitor added: "He is highly embarrassed, the date could not have ended much worse. He was taken to Musgrave (Police Station) and the 'date' left at the side of the road.

"He had tried to take a girl on a date and it somewhat backfired".

District Judge Peter King said in the circumstances he would be perfectly entitled to estreat some of the £2,000 surety put up by Catherwood's mother.

Allowing Catherwood out on continuing bail he said he was increasing the accused's own bail from £500 to £900.

Catherwood is currently facing charges in relation to an incident at Rathmore Gardens in Antrim town's Greystone estate on May 27 this year.

He is charged with the attempted murder of a man; possessing a knife as an offensive weapon; assault occasioning actual bodily harm of woman and assault of another woman.

Last month, Belfast Magistrates Court heard a man was stabbed five times after turning up at a house party in Antrim.

One knife wound punctured his chest, police said.

Catherwood was also accused of slashing at two women during the incident.

He claimed to have acted in self-defence after being attacked with a hammer at the scene.

Belfast Magistrates' Court had heard the stabbed man required surgery after suffering multiple wounds.

A defence solicitor told the Belfast Court Catherwood was at a party in his sister's home when a man arrived and started knocking on the windows.

"He was attacked with a hammer and went to defend himself," the lawyer claimed.

Statements from others at the scene allegedly back up his version of events, the solicitor said.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph