Belfast Telegraph

Londonderry teenager admits fatal stabbing charge

By John Cassidy

A teenager has admitted killing a man outside a house in Londonderry last year.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be named because of his age, appeared at Belfast Crown Court to be formally arraigned on a charge of murdering Gerard Quinn in May 2016.

Standing outside the dock of the court beside his solicitor, the juvenile replied to the murder charge: "Not guilty to murder but guilty to manslaughter.''

When a second charge was put to him of attempted grievous bodily harm with intent on Mr Quinn's twin brother Michael, the defendant said: "Not guilty, but guilty to attempted Section 20 (grievous bodily harm).''

Prosecution counsel Margaret Dinsmore told Mr Justice Treacy: "In the circumstances I would ask for four weeks for me to take instructions.

"If the matter moves forward in any way that is relevant, we will bring it back to the court before that.''

Defence counsel Brian McCartney QC told the court: "I have no objections to that course. He is in custody.

"I would say that he is in custody voluntarily.''

Mr Justice Treacy adjourned the case for four weeks.

Gerard Quinn (24) was stabbed in the front garden of a house at Milldale Crescent in the Curryneirin area of Derry.

A court heard last year that the results of a post mortem examiation revealed that the father of one died from a single stab wound to the throat caused by a broken glass.

A detective told Derry Youth Court at the time that prior to the incident, there was a melee involving the deceased, his brother Michael and another 16-year-old individual.

The court heard police received a report of a stabbing at 10.20pm on Saturday, May 21, last year.

When officers arrived, the detective said that they found a man lying on the ground and "he was not breathing and he had lost a lot of blood''.

Mr Quinn was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to Altnagelvin Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery for the injury to his throat.

At 12.13am on Sunday, May 22, the defendant attended Strand Road police station in Derry voluntarily and was interviewed by detectives in the presence of his solicitor and an appropriate intermediary.

The court heard that Mr Quinn's life was pronounced extinct at 4.20am on Sunday morning.

During police interviews the defendant admitted striking two men, but said that he had acted in "self defence''.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph