Loyalists are planning widespread acts of "civil disobedience" across Northern Ireland in the coming week, dashing any hopes of an end to the ongoing disorder.
The protests are expected to take the form of unnotified band parades, which will take place in towns and villages across Northern Ireland without the prior knowledge of the police or the Parades Commission.
There are also expected to be "pop up protests", with roads blocked at key times of the day.
The majority of the planned protests and parades are scheduled to take place from Sunday onwards, waiting until after the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh.
A number of loyalist groups have previously said they will no longer be dealing with the PSNI at a community level over plans for parades, bonfires and protests.
They have now also withdrawn support for the Parades Commission, the regulatory body responsible for placing restrictions on any parades in Northern Ireland it deems contentious or offensive.
While the PSNI is aware that loyalists plan to hold protests, they will not be given exact details. Loyalist paramilitary sources say while they are not responsible for orchestrating the protests they will also not do anything to stop them.
There are fears that despite peaceful intent, the loyalist band parades could attract thousands of young followers and spectators which will make them impossible to control, with the potential for further violence.
There are fears that this could escalate going into the summer months, with marching season taking place in a climate of non-cooperation between organisers and the PSNI.
The port town of Larne is also expected to see further protests which could cause significant disruption to freight.
Despite the Loyalist Communities Council releasing a statement calling for calm on Friday, there are still those within the organisation who refused to condemn the violence, leading to a dispute among senior members of the umbrella group.
The LCC, which represents the UVF, factions of the UDA, and Red Hand Commando, said none of their associated groups have been involved, either directly or indirectly, in the violence.
However, the Belfast Telegraph understands that members of the paramilitary organisations and affiliated bands will be participating in the protests.
SDLP MLA and Policing Board member Dolores Kelly condemned the plans as "reckless".
"We are still in a Covid pandemic, I have sisters who work in nursing and I don't know that NHS staff could go through a third wave, bringing crowds onto the street at this time is totally reckless.
"This brings flashbacks to the worst days of the Drumcree protests, that spiralled into violence, including - some people forget - the murder of a policeman, Frankie O'Reilly."
Mr O'Reilly, an RUC constable, was injured by a blast bomb thrown during clashes with loyalists in Portadown in 1998, He died from his injuries after spending four weeks on a life support.
Mrs Kelly added: "There really is a real need for leadership within unionist parties, not upping the ante about the Protocol, or talk of two tier policing or myths around deprivation, whenever there is very little difference for those living on the Falls or the Shankill in terms of deprivation."