Belfast Telegraph

Man (23) arrested on suspicion of arson attack at Craigavon Area Hospital

A 23-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of arson in connection with an incident at Craigavon Area Hospital on Wednesday.

Police received reports around 6pm that a bin outside the hospital had been set on fire.

PSNI attended the scene along with Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service and the fire was extinguished.

Superintendent David Moore said: “Thankfully, no one was injured during the incident, which is being treated as arson at this time.

"Shortly after 11am today a 23-year-old male was arrested on suspicion of arson endangering life with intent.

"The man currently remains in custody assisting police with their enquiries. I would ask anyone with any information about this incident to contact police in Lurgan on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference number 1100 of 03/01/18.

“Alternatively, information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime.”

DUP MLA Carla Lockhart has commended the emergency services for their actions in dealing with the incident.

The Upper Bann representative said: "I am glad that due to the swift action of the Fire and Rescue Service and the PSNI, an attempted arson attack at Craigavon Area Hospital was halted.

"I understand that the incident took place at the pharmacology lab and there was significant damage to equipment. Thankfully any risk posed to staff and further damage to this unit was averted last night [Wednesday].

"Praise must be given to the Fire and Rescue Service who dealt with the matter efficiently and to the PSNI who have made a subsequent arrest.

"This sinister incident has come at a time when our health service is under incredible pressure.  It defies logic that someone would seek to destroy our local hospital.  Today I am meeting with the Health Trust to discuss the recent crisis.”

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph