Belfast Telegraph

Man (26) jailed for attacking reveller with broken bottle

By Ashleigh McDonald

A Belfast man who attacked a fellow reveller with a broken bottle in a busy city centre pub leaving him with serious injuries has been given a sentence of six years.

Dominic Smyth, from Clondara Street, will spend three years of the sentence in prison with the remaining three years on supervised licence upon his release following the incident in the Duke of York that left two men injured.

Smyth (26) was arrested after the assault on October 9 last year.

One of the victims was left with several facial injuries including a scar to his jaw, while a second man sustained a wound to his wrist.

After the attack - which was carried out with a broken cider bottle - Smyth was overheard saying to one of his victims: "I offered him outside, he wouldn't go, so I glassed him instead."

Crown prosecutor Gareth Purvis said that on the evening Smyth had gone to the Duke of York to meet a friend, who in turn had brought along a third man.

Saying Smyth was seen to act strangely, Mr Purvis said at some point "some form of disagreement" was sparked between Smyth and the third man.

Mr Purvis said that while it was "not clear" what the two were arguing about, drink had been taken by both men and that things seemed to "fester" between them as the night went on.

Mr Purvis explained Smyth then lifted his bottle of cider, smashed it and "lunged" at the other man several times.

Another male patron who was sitting at a nearby table had noticed the dispute between the two men and when the altercation broke out he tried to take evasive action as they fell towards his table.

He put his hand out to avoid the pair falling on his table, and was cut on the wrist.

The prosecutor branded the incident as "serious" and spoke of the fact that it was a persistent attack with a broken bottle in a "fairly crowded environment".

He also said the incident had had a "significant effect" on both men who were injured.

Smyth subsequently pleaded guilty to a charge of wounding the first man with intent to do grievous bodily harm, and to a second charge of wounding the second pub-goer.

Defence barrister Jim Johnston said Smyth wanted to "offer his apologies to both of the injured parties" and revealed his client had written letters to the two men in which he expressed his remorse.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph