Man (30) accused of attack to facing Crown Court trail
A Co Antrim man charged with causing actual bodily harm is to face a Crown Court trial.
Standing in the dock of Antrim Magistrates Court, 30-year-old John Albert James Scott confirmed he understood the charge against him.
Scott, from West Street in Ballycarry, is accused of inflicting actual bodily harm on Mervyn Smyth on July 7 last year.
None of the facts were heard in court but during a brief Preliminary Enquiry (PE), the legal step necessary to refer a case upwards to the Crown Court, a prosecutor submitted there was a case for Scott to answer.
Revealing there was CCTV footage of the incident, defence counsel Aaron Thompson said he had no contrary submissions.
The court clerk told Scott he had the right to comment on the charge or call evidence to the PE but looking to Mr Thompson for guidance, Scott declined the opportunity.
Freeing him on his own bail of £300, District Judge Oonagh Mullan returned the case to Antrim Crown Court and ordered Scott to appear before the higher court for his arraignment on May 3.
Scott was also charged with using disorderly behaviour at Antrim Area Hospital on the same date.
However, the court heard that rather than being withdrawn, that offence remains live and will be dealt with after the conclusion of the Crown Court case.