| 19.1°C Belfast

Man accused of sending intimate picture of ex-partner to teen daughter is refused bail

Close

He is also charged with harassing the woman and improper use of a public electronic communications network

He is also charged with harassing the woman and improper use of a public electronic communications network

He is also charged with harassing the woman and improper use of a public electronic communications network

A 42-year-old man allegedly sent a naked photo of his ex-partner to their teenage daughter as part of a campaign of harassment, a court heard today.

Police claimed he also posted an intimate image of the woman on his WhatsApp account.

The accused, who cannot be identified, appeared at Newtownards Magistrates' Court, sitting in Belfast, on a charge of disclosing private sexual photographs without consent.

He faces further counts of harassing the woman and improper use of a public electronic communications network to cause anxiety.

The alleged offences were committed on October 16 last year, while he was on bail for other matters connected to their break-up.

She received a text message warning that her family were "going to pay", it was claimed.

According to a PSNI officer the man said he would wait until police left the woman's address before launching an attack.

District Judge Mark Hamill was told the accused then allegedly posted a photo showing her genitalia on his WhatsApp profile.

Any of his contacts could have viewed it, the court heard.

The officer continued: "She informed police that he has access to a lot of intimate photographs of her in his iCloud account.

"The injured party's daughter then told police her father sent her a nude picture of her mother to her phone, but she deleted it."

Both females were described as being "terrified" of him.

With the man contesting the charges against him, a defence solicitor insisted there was no suggestion of any physical approach to either the mother or daughter.

He argued that his client should be released from custody due to the time already spent behind bars and potential further delay due to the current pandemic.

"In essence his case is stuck," the lawyer said.

Bail was refused, however, due to the risk of further offences.

Remanding the accused in custody for a further four weeks, District Judge Mark Hamill said: "A severely aggravating feature is that these offences were allegedly committed while on bail for (other) offences."

Belfast Telegraph