Man accused of terror offences denied bail to attend family wedding
A man charged with terror-related offences has been refused bail to attend his sister's wedding.
John Paul Moore (23) has been in custody since last July charged with committing the offences during two nights of rioting in the Bogside in Londonderry.
He made a compassionate bail application at Derry Magistrates Court to be released from custody for several hours to attend the wedding today.
Moore, from Carleton Court in Ballymagroarty, is charged with possessing, making and throwing petrol bombs at police lines during rioting in Fahan Street on July 12 and July 13 last year.
He is also charged with possessing explosives with intent to endanger life.
Objecting to the application, a police officer told Deputy District Judge Ann Marshall that police CCTV footage, including helicopter video footage, showed the defendant throwing numerous petrol bombs into an area where members of the Press and public had gathered.
She said an improvised explosive device was also thrown into the same area.
The police witness said the defendant's offending allegedly occurred during a sustained episode of public order offences and she described the defendant's role as massive and single-handed.
She said Moore had already made four bail applications since his arrest last July.
Two of these were at Magistrates Court level and two at the High Court. All four were rejected on the grounds that there was a risk of Moore reoffending.
The officer said Moore had been on the run from police for three weeks and had removed his court-imposed tag prior to his arrest last July.
She said the defendant also attempted to avoid being arrested by changing his clothing after the disturbances had ended. Defence barrister Stephen Mooney said he accepted there was a prime facie case of some considerable weight against the defendant.
He said the risk of the defendant absconding had not been mentioned at the four previous failed bail applications, nor had the issue of him interfering with witnesses been mentioned.
Mr Mooney said given the amount of CCTV footage available, there was no prospect of the defendant interfering with witnesses.
The barrister said the defendant's father would chaperone and supervise him if released to attend the wedding, the integrity of which the police accepted.
The Deputy District Judge said the defendant faced some very serious charges and that among his previous convictions were ones for public order offences including attempted hijacking.
She said she did not think that any conditions she could impose would negate the risk of the defendant reoffending.
Bail was refused and the case was adjourned until May 16 for a preliminary enquiry hearing.