Belfast Telegraph

Man allegedly exposed himself in Belfast park within 48 hours of being bailed on separate flashing charge

By Alan Erwin

A man allegedly exposed himself in a popular Belfast park within 48 hours of being bailed on a separate flashing charge, the High Court heard today.

Jason Shaw, 44, was arrested after a woman reported being confronted in broad daylight at Botanic Gardens.

Prosecutors also revealed he is to undergo an identification process in connection with six pending investigations.

In the latest incident the woman told police a man was masturbating near railings as she walked towards the Lyric Theatre on November 7.

Stephanie Boyd, prosecuting, said: "He remained in full view until she produced a camera and attempted to take a photograph of him. That caused him to flee."

The alleged victim was left "angry and disgusted" at the man's activities in a busy area, the court heard.

A description she provided was said to match that of Shaw.

The accused, whose address cannot be published, faces a new charge of indecent exposure.

He is also accused of breaching a curfew imposed when he was granted bail on a similar alleged offence on November 5.

In that incident he is accused of exposing himself to women near Queen's University in Belfast while wearing a plastic bag over his head.

Alleged victims reported seeing a man naked from the waist down in the lower Malone Road area on October 19.

Opposing his bid to be re-released, Mrs Boyd said: "He was on High Court bail two days when these (new) matters are alleged.

"In addition, he's due to undergo Viper identification procedures in relation to six pending investigations.

"Police believe he is a recidivist and can't refrain from participating in this type of behaviour."

Richard McConkey, defending, argued that there is no evidence linking his client to the latest incident.

Describing the description given by the alleged victim as "very generic", the barrister said police cannot even confirm Shaw was in the area at the time.

"There has to be evidence, and if there is evidence here it's very tenuous," he contended.

Adjourning the bail application for a week to allow the completion of identification procedures, Lord Justice Girvan: "Depending on the outcome we can revisit the matter next time."

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph