Belfast Telegraph

Man and son rescued on Northern Ireland coast as sea claims six across UK

By Nevin Farrell

Three men, two women and a young child have died in separate incidents off the UK coast amid strong winds and stormy conditions.

And in Northern Ireland the Coastguard had to rescue a boy and his father who became stranded on rocks after they were caught out by the tide.

In Scotland a mother and son - named by police as Julie Walker (37) and Lucas Walker (6) - died in hospital after a rescue operation at Aberdeen beach on Saturday afternoon.

A total of five people were pulled from the water and taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

Lucas's brother Samuel, who bravely entered the sea in an attempt to save his mother and brother, is making a "steady recovery" in hospital, police said.

Four others also died along the UK coastline this weekend.

A man who got into trouble outside the safe swim area at Sandbanks beach in Poole, Dorset, at around 3.30pm on Saturday died. The victim, who was seen having difficulties in the rip current, was recovered from the water by lifeguards who performed CPR, Dorset Police said.

An air ambulance and paramedics attended, but the man, believed to be in his 50s, was pronounced dead at the scene.

He is believed to have had a cardiac arrest.

A woman in her 30s died in hospital after getting into difficulties while swimming with a man near Green Island in Jersey on Saturday at around 8.30pm.

The man was helped to safety by members of the public, while a lifeboat managed to locate the woman who had been swept along the coast by the current, said RNLI St Helier. She was taken to hospital but later died. And South African Rudy Bruynius, who was named online, was with wife Lisinda and their daughter McKayla when they were caught up by a large wave at Fistral Beach on the Cornwall coast on Saturday.

Mr Bruynius, who lived in London, was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead .

A windsurfer in his 60s also died. The man, who was rescued off the Essex coast at around midday on Saturday, died later in hospital.

On the north Antrim coast, the father and son were fishing on Saturday evening at Portbraddan when they became cut off by the tide at around 7.30pm.

Belfast Coastguard officer Dawn Petrie said: "Ballycastle and Coleraine Coastguard teams located the two people and brought them ashore with Portrush Lifeboat in attendance.

"They were fishing. It appeared they walked out on to the rocks and the tide came in round them."

Ms Petrie urged the public to get in touch with it if they are unsure of tides. She said: "We have no objection to people phoning in to the ops room and asking for tide times and advice in that way. But yes, certainly check the tides and be aware the tides do obviously come in and out."

An eyewitness said: "The tide can rise six or seven feet at Portbradden, so if you don't know the area it is possible to get caught out quickly without realising it.

"Thankfully the alarm was raised and this ended without incident. Rescuers used a special kayak to take them from the rocks. The boy at least was quickly wrapped up to keep him warm when rescued."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph