Belfast Telegraph

Man attack ex-partner and threw phone at her, court told

Judge hitting gavel
Judge hitting gavel

By Staff Reporter

A man attacked his ex-partner then threw a phone at her which smashed, a court has heard.

Alberto Do Carmo (44), of no fixed abode, Aughnacloy, is accused of assaulting his ex-partner and destroying her phone on August 8.

A police officer told Dungannon Magistrates Court the charges could be connected.

Objecting to bail, he said police were called to the property on the evening in question.

Do Carmo's ex-partner told them he was angry with her because she would not give him money, and he punched her several times before hitting her over the head with a saucepan lid.

The court heard Do Carmo snatched her phone and hurled it at her. It smashed against a wall, showering mother in glass.

Do Carmo was arrested and whilst in custody accepted there had been a verbal argument but denied any physical assault. He claimed to have thrown the phone "to her but not at her".

The officer said: "Police are opposed to bail due to a high likelihood of re-offending and witness interference. There is a lengthy criminal record and relevant domestic violence history."

A defence lawyer pointed out: "My client has not come to the attention of police since 2015."

District Judge John Meehan replied: "Do you want to re-phrase that? Is it not fair to say there have been periods since 2015 when there have been no prosecutions? There is a domestic violence log entry for January 2016 when the victim, the same as in this matter, decided not to proceed. All entries on this man's record are for this same victim."

Do Carmo was remanded in custody to appear by video-link later this month.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph