A man accused of stabbing a senior loyalist outside a packed supermarket in north Belfast has made a full and frank admission to his role in the incident, a court has heard.
David Madine, 40, who is charged with the attempted murder of leading UVF figure Harry Stockman, has also asked for his apologies to be passed to customers and staff for the "unsavoury and violent" scene at the Tesco store on the Ballygomartin Road, his lawyer told Belfast Magistrates' Court.
Madine, from Innishargie Gardens in Bangor, shouted and swore from the dock during his brief appearance, branding 50-year-old Mr Stockman a "tout".
He is accused of repeatedly stabbing the loyalist at the supermarket in front of stunned shoppers at around 4.30pm on Wednesday. Mr Stockman is in a stable condition in hospital after undergoing emergency surgery.
With a heavy police presence both in and outside court, Madine smiled and acknowledged supporters in the public gallery as he was led from the cells into the dock.
Applying for bail, his lawyer Denis Moloney told district judge Fiona Bagnall that the incident was not pre-meditated.
But a senior police officer expressed strong objections to bail, arguing there was a serious risk to the safety of both the defendant and his family.
At this point Madine, sporting short dark hair and a goatee beard and wearing a blue T-shirt which exposed heavily tattooed arms, shouted from the dock. Judge Bagnall ordered him to be quiet and said if he continued to disrupt proceedings he would be taken back to the cells and the hearing would continue in his absence.
The officer said he feared there would also be a risk to public safety if the defendant was bailed and revealed a number of people had already moved from the Shankill area in the wake of the attack.
Judge Bagnall refused to grant bail and remanded the accused in custody to appear again on May 19.