Belfast Telegraph

Man charged over bomb hoax at Ballymena school

A man has been charged after a bomb hoax at a school in Ballymena.

On Tuesday morning Harryville Primary School in the Casement Street area of the town received a phonecall with a warning that a bomb had been left at the school.

Police launched an extensive investigation into the incident and deployed additional officers to the local area to provide a visible reassurance and keep people safe.

A 60-year-old man was arrested and charged with communicating false information causing a bomb hoax.

He is expected to appear before Ballymena Magistrates Court on Wednesday October 11.

As is normal procedure all charges are reviewed by the Public Prosecution Service.

In a message to parents on their Facebook page the school said in conjunction with the PSNI the decision was taken to close the school.

School principal Lesley Meikle said: "The school took immediate action to safeguard pupils and at no time was their safety compromised or risks taken."

The school will be open on Wednesday.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph