Belfast Telegraph

Man died after cocktail of drugs and alcohol

By John Mulgrew

A cocktail of heroin, alcohol and prescription drugs was the cause of the death of a young Belfast man, a court has heard.

Joseph Anthony Kelly was found dead at his Belfast apartment on April 28, 2010 after a party with friends.

During his inquest, Coroner Suzanne Anderson said Mr Kelly had died accidentally as a result of "poisoning by alcohol, heroin, chlordiazepoxide and diazepam".

One friend who was at the apartment in Lesley Plaza on the Lisburn Road said the 29-year-old had been snorting powder on the night of his death, before temporarily leaving to sell drugs at a party nearby.

Another man, who was also drinking at the house, was arrested for suspicion of possessing a Class A drug but not charged.

Assistant state pathologist Dr Peter Ingram said Mr Kelly's death was "due to drugs and alcohol".

At the time of his death he had a blood alcohol level over three times the drink-drive limit and heroin was present in his system along with "therapeutic levels" of prescription anti-anxiety drugs.

The court heard he had a severe history of alcohol and drug dependency and had, according to his GP, previously tried to take his own life with a drugs overdose.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph