Belfast Telegraph

Man dies after being electrocuted 'while changing lightbulb' in Co Londonderry

A man has died after being electrocuted 'while changing a light bulb' in a shed in Co Londonderry.

The man has been named locally as Ian Patterson (44). It is understood locals tried to use a nearby defibrillator in a bid to save Mr Patterson's life.

MLA Maurice Bradley, who knew Mr Patterson, said the incident was a tragedy.

"Ian was a popular businessman who in recent years had supplied quality trophies to the Coleraine and District League of which I am a member," he said.

"I would extend my deepest sympathy to Ian’s immediate family and extended family circle and also the tight-knit community of Articlave where he resided."

Electrocution_Death003.jpg
Ian Patterson. Credit: MCAULEY MULTIMEDIA

A spokesperson for Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS) said: "We received a 999 emergency call at 11.05am on Friday 18 January 2019. The caller reported that a patient had collapsed following electrocution.

"The incident occurred in Articlave. One Accident & Emergency Ambulance was dispatched to the scene immediately and the Air Ambulance Helimed23 also attended shortly after.”

Electrocution_Death002.jpg
The Air Ambulance attended the scene. PICTURE STEVEN MCAULEY/MCAULEY MULTIMEDIA

The PSNI said it attended a report of a sudden death of a man at the Rockmount Gardens area of Articlave on Friday morning.

A post mortem is due to take place. The death is not being treated as suspicious.

The Health and Safety Executive has been made aware of the incident.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph