Belfast Telegraph

Man dies after being hit by a lorry in Cookstown

Emergency services at the scene of a second accident near Coleraine
Emergency services at the scene of a second accident near Coleraine
Lauren Harte

By Lauren Harte

A man has died after being struck by a lorry in Co Tyrone yesterday afternoon.

The male, who was a pedestrian, was hit on the Drum Road in Cookstown at around 1.50pm.

Two emergency ambulance crews were sent to the scene on the main A505 route between Cookstown and Omagh.

The Charity Air Ambulance was also dispatched to the incident.

Following assessment and initial treatment at the scene, the man was transferred to Craigavon Area Hospital where he later died.

A PSNI spokesman said last night: "Police can confirm that a man has died following a road traffic collision between a lorry and a pedestrian on the Drum Road, Cookstown this afternoon.

"It was reported that a pedestrian was struck by a lorry around 1.50pm on Tuesday."

Police are appealing for anyone who may have been travelling on the Drum Road at the time and witnessed the collision or saw a male walking on the road to contact local officers in Cookstown or the Collison Investigation Unit on 101.

Mid Ulster UUP councillor Mark Glasgow, who lives close to the scene, said the road has claimed a number of lives in recent years.

"Unfortunately this is a very busy and fast stretch of road that has sadly claimed another life today," he said.

"I want to express my sincere condolences to the relatives and friends of this man following their tragic loss.

"My thoughts are also with the driver of the lorry and all those involved in this incident."

Sinn Fein councillor Cathal Mallaghan added: "My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the man who has lost his life at this sad and difficult time."

Meanwhile, in a separate incident, two people were taken to hospital yesterday afternoon following a crash in Co Londonderry.

Emergency services attended the scene on the Castleroe Road in Coleraine where a car had flipped onto its roof, shortly after 5pm.

A spokesman for the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service said two patients were taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast - one by road ambulance while the other was transferred by air ambulance.

The road was closed for several hours following the crash.

Causeway Coast and Glens DUP Councillor Philip Anderson said yesterday: "Our thanks to the emergency services PSNI, NIAS and air support for their prompt roadside assistance."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph