Man dies after suspected stolen car crashes into lamppost and catches fire in Londonderry
A man has died after a suspected stolen car crashed into a lamppost and caught fire in Londonderry.
At around 4.15am it was reported to police that a red coloured Mazda 6 car had struck a lamppost in the area of Fairview Road.
The vehicle is reported to have caught fire and travelled along Fairview Road for a short distance before coming to a rest close to the junction of Galliagh Park.
Man’s body discovered in a burnt out vehicle in Galliagh Park #Derry. Police say red Mazda car struck a lamppost in Fairview Road, car - which had earlier been stolen in Oakfield Park- caught fire and travelled for a short distance before coming to a rest here at Galliagh Park pic.twitter.com/HLZkBsPqyZ— Leona O'Neill (@LeonaONeill1) June 1, 2019
Police and the Fire Service attended the scene and the body of a male was discovered inside.
The vehicle is believed to have been stolen in the Oakfield Avenue area of the city earlier.
Police are working to establish the circumstances of the incident and establish if any other people were travelling in the vehicle at the time of the crash.
Chief Inspector Jonny Hunter is appealing for anyone who observed a red coloured Mazda car being driven in the area of Oakfield Avenue or Fairview Road prior to the collision or anyone who witnessed the collision to contact officers in Strand Road on 101 quoting reference 316 01/06/19.
Fair View Road has since reopened.
A Northern Ireland Ambulance Service spokesman said it did not attend the incident.
SDLP Ballyarnett Councillor Brian Tierney has said that residents in the Galliagh area are shocked by the death
“We don’t yet know the full circumstances and I would appeal to anyone who saw or heard anything early this morning near Fairview road to come forward to police.
"On behalf of the SDLP, I want to send my sincere condolences to the family of this man who will be going through a very difficult time.
“The PSNI has undertaken a significant investigation in the area and I would ask residents to cooperate with them as that continues into this evening. We’ve had significant disruption and as the cordon is reduced, which we expect in the next half hour or so, I’ll be speaking with Translink officials to ensure we can return to a normal service so that local people can go about their business.
“As we enter the summer months, I will be continuing our work with this community and particularly with young people to ensure they remain safe.”
Belfast Telegraph Digital