| 12.6°C Belfast

Man dies in Londonderry chip pan fire

The man was found dead following a fire at a house in Upper Bennett Street.

A man in his 40s has died following an accidental fire caused by a chip pan in Londonderry on Sunday.

Shortly after 8am this morning emergency services were called after a report of a fire at a house on Upper Bennett Street.

The man, aged in his 40s, was found dead in the house.

Station commander Jonathan Tate said: “At 8.10am NIFRS was mobilised to a house on fire persons reported at Upper Bennett Street.

“Two fire appliances from Northland Fire Station and one fire appliance from Crescent Link fire station attended.

“On our arrival the fire was out and we had no action to take, unfortunately a deceased male was found in the living room."

He added: “The cause of the fire has been determined as accidental.”

It is believed there were no smoke alarms fitted in the property.

SDLP MLA for Londonderry, Pat Ramsey, said: “The very tragic death of this man over night in a fire is very shocking and upsetting not only for the man’s family and friends but also for his neighbours and wider community. I would like to express my sympathies and condolences.

“I understand that the PSNI will be investigating the circumstances of this terrible incident and I would urge anyone with any information to help in that investigation.”

Belfast Telegraph