Belfast Telegraph

Man found dead in fume-filled house

A respected businessman was found dead and his wife critically ill in a fume-filled house in Northern Ireland.

Killian Scallon, a father of two in his 50s, was discovered at the family home outside Irvinestown, Co Fermanagh on Wednesday morning.

The estate agent's wife Pauline was seriously ill when emergency crews found her lying in the same property on the Kesh Road around 11am.

She was rushed to hospital where her condition is described as critical.

Officers, who do not suspect a crime, said a definite cause could not be established until a full forensic examination of the property was undertaken.

But it is understood a gas leak has been ruled out.

Ulster Unionist party leader and Fermanagh and South Tyrone Assembly member Tom Elliott knew Mr Scallon well.

"I would like to express my shock and sadness at the death of Killian," he said.

"The family are well known locally and this will be a huge shock to them and to the whole community.

"I would like to extend my sincere sympathies to the entire family circle at what will be a hugely difficult time."


From Belfast Telegraph