Belfast Telegraph

Man in critical condition after 'horrendous' road accident

By Chris McCullough

A man remains in a critical condition following a road accident in Co Down.

Two females and a male were taken to hospital following the three-car crash on the A21 Bangor to Ards carriageway.

It is thought the cars were travelling in different directions on the carriageway when the accident happened at 7.40pm close to the junction of Green Road.

The male is in a critical condition in the Royal Victoria Hospital and one of the females is stable and the other in a serious condition, both in the Ulster Hospital.

PSNI Inspector David McClements is appealing for anyone who was travelling on the dual carriageway and who witnessed the collision to contact police at Ards PSNI Station on the non-emergency number 101.

DUP MP for the area Jim Shannon said the accident must have been horrendous for all involved.

Mr Shannon said police had to leave a meeting he was attending in Portaferry to travel to the scene.

"The road was closed for over 12 hours which means it must have been horrendous for everyone there," said Mr Shannon.

"I was at a police meeting in Portaferry when the officers got the call and had to leave immediately to attend the crash.

"No more details of the incident have been disclosed at this stage but I hope everyone will be ok."

Meanwhile, two females were injured in a one-vehicle accident on the Frosses Road near Ballymena on Friday morning resulting in the road being closed for a period.

Traffic was diverted along the Station Road at Glarryford until the Frosses Road was reopened.

The A26 Frosses Road is currently undergoing an upgrade turning it into a dual carriageway from Glarryford to Drones Road.

Both the Frosses Road and the Bangor to Ards dual carriageway were reopened yesterday following police investigations

And there was yet another crash yesterday afternoon in Belfast when traffic came to a standstill on the Ormeau Road.

Four vehicles were involved in the accident at the Rosetta Park junction but no one was injured.

A police spokesman confirmed the collision involved four vehicles but no one had been seriously injured. However, those involved in the smash were reported to have been left shaken by the incident.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph