| 24.8°C Belfast

Man injured in underground Belfast fire - homes evacuated


The fire service attended the scene.

The fire service attended the scene.

The fire service attended the scene.

Worrying levels of carbon monoxide led to homes being evacuated after a fire broke out in east Belfast which left a man needing hospital treatment after suffering an electric shock.

Another man suffered eye-sight problems as a result of the gas escape. The Red Cross assisted during the incident.

Firefighters attended an underground fire in the Melrose Avenue area on Tuesday evening.

In a statement, the Fire Service said: "Higher than normal readings of carbon monoxide were detected in the area.  As a precautionary measure, properties on Melrose Avenue and Beersbridge Road were evacuated.

“NIE were in attendance and enabled Firefighters to gain access to the underground fire.

“A member of the public, who alerted NIFRS to the fire, spotted smoke coming from the footpath and suffered electric shock at the scene. He was treated by paramedics and was taken to the Ulster Hospital as a precautionary measure by Ambulance. 

“A male occupant of a property on Melrose Avenue suffered slight effects of Carbon Monoxide and was treated at the scene by paramedics.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

“The Fire Emergency Support Service provided by the Red Cross, also attended the incident to provide welfare to residents who were evacuated from their homes.

“The incident was dealt with at 11.48pm and residents were allowed to return to their homes at this time.

“The cause of the fire is being treated as accidental."

Top Videos