A man has been remanded in custody charged with attempting to murder his partner's son by beating him unconscious with a metal bar.
Ryan Taylor (29) is accused of attacking Matthew Larsen at a flat in the Mount Vernon area of north Belfast on December 28.
The 24-year-old victim was critically injured after allegedly being beaten about the head.
His mother, 41-year-old Julie Larsen, is also charged with his attempted murder and trying to pervert the course of justice by cleaning up after the assault.
Taylor, of Templemore Street in Belfast, appeared before the city's Magistrates Court following his arrest by investigating detectives.
He faces additional counts of inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Larsen's girlfriend, and threats to kill made against her and another woman. Taylor showed no emotion as the allegations were put to him.
With no application for bail made, he was remanded in custody to appear again next month.
Details of the alleged attack had been disclosed during a previous appearance by his partner and co-accused. Police claimed Julie Larsen, of Ross House in Mount Vernon, watched her son being beaten unconscious without trying to intervene.
She arrived at the flat knowing he was to be subjected to a serious assault, it was alleged. A judge was told last week that Mr Larsen was struck up to 20 times after an initial blow to the head caused his ear to "explode".
He was said to have been beaten with a drop bar similar to the type used to barricade doors. His mother is not accused of taking part in the attack, but is charged with the attempted murder on a joint enterprise basis. She denies the allegations.
It was revealed that Taylor is in a relationship with Julie Larsen.
The court heard claims that she then cleaned up the apartment in a bid to make it look like the attack happened elsewhere.
When Mr Larsen's girlfriend tried to stop the attack she was also allegedly hit, breaking her arm in three places. According to a detective, witnesses were told they would be killed if they went to police. Taylor is now due back in court by video-link on February 1.