Belfast Telegraph

Man jailed for attack on girlfriend after she ended their relationship

By Ashleigh McDonald

A 22-year-old man who attacked and falsely imprisoned his partner after she ended their eight-month relationship has been jailed for his "unacceptable behaviour".

Polish national Krzysztof Zaborski, who is also known as Dominik Lebiedz, admitted six offences arising from an incident at his now former girlfriend's home on December 12 last year.

As well as trapping and assaulting his partner, Zaborski, from Dunvegan Street in Belfast, also attacked police and had to be put in restraints whilst he was being arrested.

Jailing Zaborski, Judge Kerr handed him a 10-month sentence and also activated two months of a previous suspended sentence. Zaborski was told he will spend half of the 12-month term in prison, and the rest on licence.

Prosecuting barrister David McClean told Belfast Crown Court that at the time of the incident, Zaborski had been living with his girlfriend in south Belfast.

Mr McClean said that around 11am on the morning of December 12 last year, the woman told Zaborski that she had met someone else and that she wanted him out of the house. Zaborski "stormed out" but returned a short time later with bottles of whiskey and cider.

The court heard Zaborski went upstairs and was drinking whilst packing. He came downstairs around 12.30pm and accused her of cheating on him.

The woman tried to leave, but Zaborski grabbed her by the throat. She tried to make a 999 call but Zaborski took her phone from her. When she again tried to make a run for the living room door, Zaborski dragged her back to the sofa.

Mr McClean said that during the incident, she "made further, unsuccessful attempts" to escape and at some point Zaborski handed her the phone back.

The court heard that at times during the incident, Zaborski was in tears. At one point the woman managed to get to the bathroom where she texted her friend about the situation, but Zaborski kicked the door in and told her to go back down to the living room.

Both the woman's friend and the police arrived at the scene at around 4.10pm, and when police spoke to Zaborski he appeared to be "agitated".

During his arrest, Zaborski began to struggle when he was being handcuffed and he assaulted two officers. This action forced police to use leg restraints.

Passing sentence, Judge Kerr told Zaborski "the way you dealt with this situation cannot be accepted".

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph