Belfast Telegraph

Man killed after falling off Silverwood Bridge into path of train

By Claire Williamson

A man has been killed after being hit by a train in Lurgan.

Local reports suggested that the man fell from the Silverwood Bridge into the path of the oncoming train.

Rail services were halted in both directions following the fatal incident yesterday afternoon.

It is thought the incident happened about 100 yards from the William Street crossing.

Northern Ireland Ambulance Service spokesman John McPoland said they were called to an incident of a man being hit by a train at the railway line in Lurgan at around 4pm.

He said they did not take any casualties away from the scene.

Early reports have suggested that the man fell off the Silverwood Bridge at Frances Street, which is located just outside Lurgan.

It is on a country road which traffic uses to bypass the town centre.

There aren't many houses in the immediate vicinity but it is understood the man fell into the path of the train and was dragged up the line.

An eyewitness who drove past the scene later described a railway worker as having a face "as white as a ghost".

Rescue workers and investigators were at the scene late into the evening.

SDLP MLA for Upper Bann Dolores Kelly said it was terrible news on what had been a lovely spring evening during the school holidays.

She said: "Some family is going to receive dreadful news today on what has been a glorious sunny day.

"I feel for that family, but also you have to think of the emergency services who have had to cope with what can only be described as a dreadful scene. It's devastating, and will be for some time to come."

She added: "I've no doubt that train driver and others will be suffering from post-traumatic stress, I have no doubt about that."

Meanwhile, it is understood a bus carrying the diverted rail passengers from Lurgan to Portadown was involved in a collision with a van at Highfield Road in Craigavon.

The collision happened around 5.40pm and it is understood there were 15 passengers on the bus.

The driver of the van was taken to hospital by ambulance, but his condition was not known.

There were no reports of any injuries to the redirected train passengers.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph