Belfast Telegraph

Man put pet dog in washing machine, Derry court told

By George Jackson

A police officer told the Magistrate's Court in Derry yesterday that a 25-year-old labourer who became involved in an argument with his then partner, grabbed the woman's pet dog and put the animal into her washing machine before she managed to rescue it

The officer said the incident occurred in the woman's home at Florence Street in the city on April 27. After his arrest for assaulting his partner and causing criminal damage to her property, the defendant, Brendan Meenan from Magazine Street, was released on court bail.

However the police witness said the defendant breached his bail conditions by returning to his now ex-partner's home on Saturday night, May 13 The woman called the police and reported that the defendant had again assaulted her and caused £850 of damage to her television sets and computer.

The officer said the woman told the police that after they'd gone to bed the defendant kicked her and poked her in the back when she refused to turn around and face him because of his drunken condition.

She then left the bedroom and went to the downstairs living room but the defendant followed her and  verbally abused her before grabbing her dog and placing it in the washing machine.

Applying for bail, defence solicitor Keith Kyle said the defendant admitted the breach of bail charge and also made partial admissions in respect of the criminal damage charges. However he said the defendant denied assaulting his former partner of one year.

He said the defendant returned to the woman's Florence Street home on Saturday night in the hope of a reconciliation in their relationship. Mr Kyle said the defendant had recently spent £1,700 to complete a qualified digger driver's course and he was due to start a new job next week.

Refusing bail District Judge Barney McElholm said the defendant, by his admissions and by his actions, had shown he was completely incapable of adhering to court bail conditions.

"If he applies for bail in the High Court, there is no way this man should be living anywhere in this city", he said.

The defendant was remanded in custody until June 6.   

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph