Belfast Telegraph

Man remains in custody after laundrette murder

By Catherine Lynagh

A man is still being held in connection with the murder of a mother of four shot dead in her place of work on Friday.

Residents in the popular seaside resort of Portstewart are horrified following the broad daylight murder of Marion Millican.

She died from a single gunshot while eating her lunch, it has been revealed.

Flowers and messages of condolence now adorn the laundrette where she worked.

The 51-year-old was eating her lunch at the back of the laundry, situated just off the town’s famous promenade, when the gunman struck at around 1.30pm.

It is believed that Mrs Millican died at the scene.

The gunman made off from the scene in a yellow Renault Clio and travelled in the direction of Ballymoney.

A 49-year-old man was later apprehended by police in the Kilrea area. He remained in custody last night.

One young woman who was close to the laundrette at the time of the shooting said: “We were in the bar, the victim’s friend was brought in after it happened.

“The police came in to tell her that her friend was dead and she screamed. The woman’s screams will never leave me. No-one knew where the fella was.”

Mrs Millican has been described by those who knew her as a “gorgeous, caring woman”.

Her employer Mike Moss said she was a valued employee for 15 years.

“She was killed in cold blood,” he said. “We can’t take this in.

“She was such a great girl, an institution in the town.

“We can’t believe this has happened.”

By late Friday afternoon the usually bustling north coast community was at a standstill as news of the tragedy spread.

Mr Moss said: “There was a lot of people about at the time and as the news spread the town simply closed down.

“Nobody had the heart to do any more business.”

One friend who babysat for Mrs Millican said: “She was a lovely, beautiful woman.

“Gorgeous and caring. A real stunner.

“Her family would be well-known in the town.

“It is unbelievable. I’m in complete shock. It’s so sad that this has happened.

“How will her family ever come to terms with it?”

The two-mile-long promenade and surrounding area was |completely cordoned off as police carried out their investigations, which continued into Saturday.

Yesterday, as normality slowly returned to Portstewart, friends and family of the mother-of-four began leaving flowers and messages of condolence.

One floral tribute, left outside the laundrette, read: “My dear friend Marion, I will never forget you. God bless, Pamela.”

Another said: “You always had a smile. You helped everyone. But there was no-one there to help you. God bless.”

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph