Man shot in supermarket car park
A man has been shot in the car park of a supermarket in Northern Ireland, police have said.
The incident occurred at about 3pm at the Sainsbury's superstore outlet in Bangor, Co Down.
The injured man sustained gunshot wounds in the attack, t he Police Service of Northern Ireland said.
Detective Sergeant Keith Wilson appealed for anyone with information on the shooting to come forward.
"Police are currently in attendance at an incident in the Balloo Link area of Bangor. It is believed that one man has sustained gunshot wounds," he said.
It is believed the supermarket on the Balloo Link on the outskirts of the town was busy with Sunday shoppers.
Reports emerged on social media that shoppers heard a confrontation and a number of gunshots and saw the injured man being given first aid in the car park.
Sainsbury's confirmed the store had been shut following the shooting.
"I can confirm there was an incident at our Bangor store and the store is closed whilst police investigate the matter," a spokeswoman said.
There were unconfirmed reports from one shopper that at least four shots had been fired in the attack.
Steven Agnew, Stormont MLA for North Down, lives about two miles from the scene of the shooting.
"I have heard reports of anything from four to six shots having been fired and I've heard from police reports that a man is injured. We would wish him well," he said.
"It's very shocking that this took place in broad daylight on a busy shopping day with children and families present. A large number of people will have been shocked by this incident.
"Anyone who has witnessed or was nearby, undoubtedly, this will live long in their memory. "
Alan Chambers, Ulster Unionist MLA in Stormont, said he was on the scene 10 minutes after the attack.
"I t was clear to me that we could easily have been dealing with a lot more casualties due to the nature of the attack in which the victim was hit a number of times," he said.
It is understood police believe there may have been more than 100 witnesses to the shooting.
The injured man was wearing shorts and trainers.
He was shot next to a black SUV type vehicle which had been parked at the edge of the car park near the main road. The front left passenger door of the car lay open while a team of paramedics treated the victim on the ground.
One eye witness said the man was lying on his back while being treated and medics worked on him for 45 minutes before he was transferred to an ambulance which drove slowly from the scene under a police escort.
Northern Ireland Secretary of State James Brokenshire added his condemnation.
"Deeply disturbed by news of the shooting in the Sainsbury's car park in Bangor. Brutal act of violence that has no place in Northern Ireland," he said on Twitter.