Belfast Telegraph

Man smashed TV over woman's head, ripped off her clothes and paraded her down Derry street

By George Jackson

A violent thug who smashed a television over his partner’s head and tore off her clothing before parading her through the streets of Londonderry has been sentenced to nine years.

Greg Deyzel Logue subjected his partner — a mother-of-three — to a horrendous and prolonged series of violent abuse.

Jealous Logue believed his former partner had had an affair with another man while he was serving a jail sentence for other violent offences.

Logue, from Duddy's Court in Derry, admitting hitting his victim over the head with a vodka bottle, smashing her head against a tree, kicking and punching her on the head and face as she sat on a toilet and then smashing a TV set over her head.

The 32-year-old also admitted tearing off her dress with a pen knife before parading her through streets in the Waterside area of the city.

Logue further admitted tying a clothes line around her neck and threatening to push her over banisters.

He also admitted threatening to kill both her and another woman.

Logue carried out the assaults on his then partner in a flat, in a house and on the streets on July 13, 2011.

Judge Piers Grant described Logue as being a violent, impulsive, jealous and vengeful person.

He said a woman who witnessed one of the assaults was so terrified of Logue that she fled Northern Ireland for 18 months. She now suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Logue’s then partner suffers frequent recurring nightmares and flashbacks, and will require psychiatric care for a considerable period.

Judge Grant said Logue had inflicted terrifying and terrible injuries on his victim.

“You tried to subjugate her to your will and to your power and she suffered the indignity of having her dress ripped off by you and then paraded through the streets,” he said.

Logue will serve three-and-a-half years of the sentence in jail and the remainder on licence.

He was also banned for an indeterminate period from ever contacting the two women again.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph